Friday, December 23, 2011

Peppery Cheese Bread

I'm obviously on a cheese kick!  While this is baking in my oven, a batch of Cheddar Poppy Seed Crackers is chilling in my fridge!  This recipe is from a Southern Living Christmas Cookbook.  Let me just tell you that my house smells amazing!

Peppery Cheese Bread

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 8-oz container plain low-fat yogurt (I used sour cream)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.  Stir together eggs and next 6 ingredients; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
Lightly grease bottom of a loaf pan; pour batter into loaf pan.
Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove bread from pan, and let cool 1 hour on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment