Friday, December 23, 2011

Cheddar Poppy Seed Crackers

Pinterest is an obsession.  But, to the benefit of many this Christmas season, it has introduced new favorites in my recipe file!  I first saw this picture last night before I went to sleep and I had to click on the link to check the recipe.  I knew I had to make it when I thought about it while feeding Caleb in the middle of the night!  I ran it by my sister-in-law and her response sealed the deal!  And...the dough is chilling in my fridge right now!  I can't wait to cut them out with my mini cookie cutters!

Cheddar Poppy Seed Crackers

1 2/3 c flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp paprika
a pinch of cayenne pepper
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature
6 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, freshly grated (Parmesan works great too)
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 large egg, beaten

1. Sift the flour, baking powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
2. Mix the butter and cheese until well blended.  You can use a mixer or a sturdy spatula.  Add the dry ingredients, continue to stir until soft dough is formed.
3. Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap.  Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350.
4. Take out one ball of dough and on a generously floured surface roll out to 1/8 - 1/3 inch thick.  Sprinkle dough with 1 Tbsp poppy seeds.  Cover with plastic wrap and gently roll over the dough to embed the seeds.
5.  Cut with desired small cookie cutter and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
6.  Bake for 12 minutes.  The crackers should be dark golden and smell amazing!  Let cool completely before serving or store in an air-tight container.

***The original post includes how to make the crackers in a log and slicing them into thin circles.

I may be making a second batch of these soon!  Also, I think these would be exceptional in tomato basil soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment