Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chicken Dijon - sorta

While browsing my January 2010 Southern Living this recipe caught my attention. I had all the ingredients and the picture looked lovely. Ok, well. It looked nothing like the picture, but oh my! It is delicious. It's sorta like the recipe because I had to make some changes. And, honestly, I'm not sure SL got the right servings. The original recipe called for 6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Well, I used 3 and not sure it could take more. Anyhow, just wanted to give clarity.

Chicken Dijon - a la Miss Kitty Cooks

3 chicken breasts
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 Tbsp butter
1 medium-sized red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 medium-sized sweet onion, cubed (I didn't have this, so I added a small can of chopped mushrooms instead)
1 (14 1/2-oz) can chicken broth
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp dijon mustard (I didn't have this, so I used horseradish mustard instead)

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Melt butter in a large skillet over med-high heat; add chicken, and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from skillet; add bell pepper and onion, and cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables get tender. Return chicken to skillet. (I cubed the chicken. And, at this point, it will not be cooked all the way through!)
Whisk together broth and next 2 ingredients, and pour over chicken.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is done.

The magazine mentioned serving it with mashed potatoes. I think wild rice would be good with it. I served it with scalloped potatoes (recipe is on blog). I also think it would make a fantastic filling to a grilled sandwich, kinda Quizno's style. Enjoy!

1 comment: