Thursday, April 30, 2009

Laundry Detergent

***Taken, word-for-word from Our Simple Life.

4 Cups hot tap water
1 bar soap (Fels Naptha, Ivory, Sunlight, or Zote)
1 Cup washing soda
1/2 Cup Borax

Grate bar of soap and add to sauce pan with 4 cups hot water. Cook and stir constantly over medium low heat until soap is melted.
Fill 5 gallon bucket half way with hot tap water. Add washing soda, borax, and melted soap then stir until dissolved. Fill remainder of bucket with hot tap water.
Let bucket sit overnight to thicken. Pour detergent in a cleaned leftover laundry container half way, fill the other half with water.
*Shake before each use as the water and detergent will separate*

For top loading machine use 5/8 cup of detergent per load
For front loading machine use 1/4 cup of detergent per load



I timed myself and it literally took me 20 minutes to make the detergent. {Kitty: I can confirm, it took me 19 minutes!} I figure you can always find 20 minutes in your schedule to do something you consider important, and I consider saving this much money worth my time. Plus, you know my laundry will be expanding in another 6 months!


Here is a cost break down:

Washing soda $2.89
Borax $2.98
Ivory Soap $1.07 (3 bars)
5 gallon bucket $4.24
Bucket lid $1.27

Total: $13.15+tax

This makes 180 loads for a top load and 640 for a front load machine.

I had to purchase the washing soda at Harps since our Walmart did not carry it. {Kitty: I can also confirm to this.} You can find this and Borax with the laundry detergents.
I have enough ingredients to make two more batches and maybe enough borax and washing soda to do 4. The cost of the bucket is the most expensive thing and I won't ever have to purchase another one. So, if I can make three full batches of detergent from these three ingredients it will now only cost me $.04 per load!
{Kitty: SO FUN!!!}

1 comment:

  1. I really want to try this, but Mark wants to know how it smells. How did you like the fragrance?

    ReplyDelete