Friday, March 27, 2009

Pesto

I have wanted to make homemade pesto for a long time now, and I'm not going to lie. This recipe is A-MAZING! It will not disappoint! I got the recipe from Chef Curtis Stone.

Pesto
1 1/2 bunches fresh basil leaves
4 oz toasted pine nuts (I didn't toast mine)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Grind the basil, nuts, and cheese with morter and pestil, or food processor, until smooth paste forms.
Slowly add olive oil. Continue to blend until incorporated.

With pasta
Add to any type of pasta. Note: if the pasta is hot, it will melt the parmesan cheese in the pesto. Add fresh tomatoes for a great burst of flavor and color.

With tilapia
Season 4 filets with salt and pepper on both sides.
Heate a large saute pan over med-high heat. Add 1 T olive oil and cook fish 1 to 2 minutes on flesh side. Flip over and spoon the pesto generously over the filets.
Transfer the pan to the broiler. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Remove fish and allow to rest on a plate before serving.

With chicken
Dredge chicken breasts in an egg and water wash. Coat with panko bread crumbs. Cook in skillet over medium-high heat. Dice and add on top of pesto pasta.

***You can also use the pesto for brushetta.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this. I am going to grow basil this spring/summer and have been collecting "basil" recipes. This will be a yummy treat for Phillip and I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh pesto. The kind you buy in a jar is can't compare!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete