Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Banana Split Cake

Words do not describe this dessert. I crave it in the early spring/summer. I thought I was crazy because I do get a serious hankering (???) for this. And, then, come to find out it was my great-great uncle CC's favorite dessert! My Mom remembers her mom carrying it out on the back porch to serve it to the family when he visited! Isn't that fantastic?! That's what baking is all about. That's what family is all about. Love.it. And, I love this recipe!

Banana Split Cake

Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter (do not use whipped margarine)
1/4 cup sugar

Mix together and press into 13x9x2 baking dish (glass works best). Chill for 1 hour.

Filling:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter, softened

Cream together and spread over crust. Chill for 1 hour.

Topping:
4-5 ripe bananas, sliced
fresh strawberries, sliced
1 16-oz can crushed pineapple, drained
Cool Whip
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped

Layer the toppings over the filling in the order listed. Refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment